2.26.2010

opening all the gates

I still can't get the parking gate to open when I drive up out of the underground parking. Tonight, Anissa, a very pretty Somali came out of the Central Parking ramp office and after I signed the form, lifted the gate with her special gate-lifting device. One way or the other, it's free parking in a heated underground ramp that would otherwise cost me $18.00 a day, minimum. Yikes! I ain't made of money.
Anissa asked me my name and I confirmed hers. Since I like to work fast in matters of the heart, I figure the next step is meeting her parents and/or extended family, sharing some canjeero and subag (ghee) and sugar followed by black tea in the morning and a proper session chewing khat with the elders in the heat of the afternoon. Forget anything you've heard to the contrary, these folks is just folks and I like them. Eventually, one will say, "Xalwadii waad qarsatey!", the phrase that follows a person who has eloped or has a small, private wedding. They are suggesting a kinship via romance. I hesitate before smiling and decline.

No comments:

Post a Comment