2.19.2010

jerry willuweit

One of the last of the true SD cowboys passed away last month. Jerry Willuweit, August 7, 1943 - January 14, 2010.
From his memorial:
"He loved trailing cows, breaking horses and playing cards ... [but] Jerry's passion in life was rodeo. From riding bulls and broncs as a young man to steer roping in his later years every aspect of the sport thrilled him. [...] With his oversized silver belly tipped to one side and one pant leg tucked into his boot Jerry could be seen sitting behind the chutes at almost any rodeo. He was a lifetime member of the PRCA."
I haven't met very many cowboys that rode as long and hard as Jerry or had as big a heart. I was lucky enough to ride along once or twice. Today I stopped by the State Brand Board to check on the status of my father's brand (renewal due May 1) and it made me think of Jerry. He most likely helped brand some of my dad's cattle. Rest in peace my friend, I'll see you at the big rodeo upstairs. I'm sure if I mention your name, St. Peter will hand me a beer and let me right in, no questions asked.
PS: I'll bring your rigging.

My foot's in the stirrup,
My pony won't stand.
Goodbye, old partner,
I'm leaving Cheyenne.






No comments:

Post a Comment