2.01.2010

mpls

The moving is finally underway for real. I arrived in MPLS Wednesday night. Met with new Boss on Thursday. Was formally offered (offer had been made previously, just needed to complete some paperwork) and attended an orientation on Friday. My title is Project Manager as it was with my previous company. I like that title. No one knows what it means, but it sounds important.
I found an apartment in NE MPLS a couple of blocks from the Mississippi River and the old Grain Belt Brewery which now houses mostly advertising agencies, artist's studios, galleries and shops. The neighborhood is rife with coffee shops, neighborhood-type, blue-collar bars and ethnic restaurants. I can see I'll be eating a lot of Vietnamese Cuisine! It's not too far from downtown either whose skyline I can see through my bedroom window. Today I'll stop for lunch at Kramarczuk's Eastern European Deli, pick up some cheese at Surdyk's and later stop by Quang Deli on Nicolet to pick up some Bahn Mi Thit Bale, the best sub sandwhich known to man. No time for Pho though I may grab some for later.
It's great to be back in the City. I've lived in a major metropolitan area since first leaving South Dakota (for good) over 20 years ago. I no longer feel comfortable in a rural environment. I can't explain myself there. Of course, I will miss my very good friends who have remained but I will not miss the isolation and emptiness. I suppose I may return to hunt or fish, but not often. I can do that anywhere and most of my friends live elsewhere now like me.
I'm heading back for the last time on Tuesday. I need to pick up my things and my cat, Willie. He is my sidekick and goes where I go. He'll have lots to do here. My apartment in MPLS has a yard and trees and a shared garden. There should be plenty of bugs and birds to draw his interest. He never went outside in South Dakota unlike his wandering ways in Gilbert, Laveen and Phoenix, AZ where he is from (actually he was born on a horse ranch in Apache Junction, east of Mesa). I can't blame him for his insular behavior, South Dakota is crawling with Sweethearts and Hillbillies. Mostly the latter. Willie couldn't find a Sweetheart in SD, I suppose. They are few and are to be treasured when found because they usually are the best.
So that's the story. Willie and I are moving on - or moving back. To place more like home. Where we belong. Maybe we'll see you at a show. The Magnolias play the entry in April. Spoon will take the mainstage the same weekend. Willie scored tics for the sold-out Cymbals Eat Guitars show at the Cedar. Seems he already has a connection behind the bar at Pizza Luce.

2 comments:

  1. I like ur spoon...

    I'm glad you're finally moving back to civilization. For awhile I wondered if wolves would drag you off into the beautiful, cold, South Dakota Sunset.

    ReplyDelete