2.05.2010

not bad oranges

Not Bad Oranges has disbanded again. It was done before I could get to Minneapolis for the tour strategy meetings and was presented as a fait accompli. I'm not surprised. Things were not coming along well with the tour logistics. No bus, no instruments and no bookings. I guess sometimes it's way too early to consider your band a headliner.
But guys, we could have borrowed Terry's Uncle's van. It's done in a purple inflected Prince-The-Artist theme with eight track (only Prince tapes, pre "formerly known as" era), neon replica Prince guitar and working mirror ball. Terry or Pat have my old guitar which I traded for back in the 2609 Columbus days for a Replacements cassette (When The Sh*t Hits The Fans) that I bought in Sioux City on my way back from NYC. The beast didn't have any strings and I think the neck was warped due its leftward angle but it looked extremely cool.
The trouble started with my request to bring my girlfriend on the tour. I met her at the 311 Bar in NE Minneapolis about 15 years ago. She was a Draghounds groupie at the time. Green eyes and a blue eyed soul. Worked at Mayslacks during the day, just up the street, making roast beef sandwiches. Got all her piercings at St. Sabrina's on Hennepin from my friend Leslie. Got her a job at Psycho Suzie's Motor Lounge. Fell in love. Bought a condo. Got a cat. Started working again.
Long story short, the band doesn't like her. She broke us up once before and they started calling her Yoko. That didn't set well with her. It didn't set well with me either and to move on I moved into my Americana-Roots-Music phase. It was a complete disaster. For both of us. Rick Rubin decided not to produce my album of reworked Lightning Hopkins. My car was repossessed. The cat ran away. We broke up.
But she and I repaired the damage. Fell back in love. And in the process broke up the band once again. Dang! Why can't we have our cake and eat it too? I'll buy some candles! Not Bad Oranges is the second most important thing in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment