6.01.2007

oh carolyn

My friend Phil sent me this photo. It's been traveling around the internet for awhile, but when I got it from him, who I often rely on for his sense of humor, politics and culture, it made me think. And then write him this reply. Thought I'd share it with you.


My personal favorite, Phil. When I was a freshman at USD in 1981, I knew some ‘older’ guys (sophomores) that called themselves ‘goths’ because they were listening to old Kink’s albums and XTC’s English Settlement. I didn’t yet know what a 'goth' was. They were my benchmark. Complete fools from Sioux Falls with good weed – thus my reason for returning every so very often to their ‘goth’ pad. Plus, I liked both bands.
And even though I became and still am a huge fan of Joy Division and Bauhaus, I laughed then and do now at the pose. Though when you get to know them, 'goths' are actually quite nice and polite. Go figure.
In 2004, I was at Rock Bottom in Minneapolis waiting for two friends to go to the Paul Westerberg show at the Pantages Theatre on Hennepin and 7th. The bar was packed so I took a seat at one of the center bar tables. Marilynn Manson was playing just across the street at the Orpheum. Two ‘goth’ chicks asked if they could sit next to me in the two empty chairs and though I was saving the seats I said sure why not. One was long, tall and lean and the other short and beautifully chunky. Both decked out in leather, fishnet stockings (arms and legs) and black eye shadow. They had tickets to the Manson show. They were from Mankato. They were young and goofy and unused to the big town but they were way cool and sat and drank with me and my friends when they arrived until we all went to our separate shows only the better for having shared some individual culture without judgment. I guess all of us felt like we were outlaws.

Best of luck to Carolyn! Heh, heh. Sense of humor, perhaps? You'll do well.

PS: Thanks, Phil, for inspiring a web post.

1 comment:

  1. i live in a van down on the platte river...midtown casper WY. there is a tribe of Goths that camp about a qtr mile upstream. nice folk, keep a fairly tidy camp. A sight better than the Gauls that live half mile downstream.

    ReplyDelete