6.15.2007

all is well

It's hot here in Phoenix. Very hot. My landscaper's helper knocked on my sliding glass door tonight to ask for a glass of water. For forty bucks these guys mow the front and back, weed the rock gardens and trim the trees, lay fertilizer and adjust the irrigation - both watering and drip. The walkin' boss is Andy Ramirez. He and his associate work in the 100+ heat. They were working when I got home from work at 6:00 PM.

Makes me consider US immigration policy. Andy works a full time job for a commercial landscaper and comes over after work for some extra cash. His wife cleans houses. If you have a special request, they are there.

Some people don't like Mexicans. But they do jobs others won't. And they are very polite. Not like Americans. And they don't complain like Americans complain.

Every two weeks, Andy and crew come back to mow my lawn, trim my trees, adjust my irrigation and spray for weeds. He works hard in the heat but comes to the door with a big smile when he's done. And I should mention that he always does a better job than I would have been capable of.

I don't know whether Andy is a citizen, and I suspect his help is illegal as he doesn't speak English. I don't ask that question. It has more to do with politics and borders.
I don't care much for those. Especially politics.

Because my yard is looking good.

OPEN THE BORDER TO THE EQUATORIALS.

1 comment:

  1. here in the fench riveria conditions are quite similar. morrocans are the best at gardening. tunisians...superb at household chores. algerians..unsurpassed at beekeeping. can't imagine a world without brown skinned equatorials?

    ReplyDelete