9.10.2008

hillcrest redux


Saw these guys on 60 Minutes. Dudes that dress like cowboys and pretend to be automatons. Sort of an old-times, new-cyberspace band that plays behind glass and chicken wire. Herky jerky like. Scary at first take.
But once, when they were taking requests, they played Johnny Horton's Honkey Tonk Man for me (I think)and segued into Horton's North To Alaska. I toasted them with a 3.2 Schmidt Beer in a waxed cup (you can't carry the frosted mud outside the"restaurant") while I gnawed on an overcooked Charburger with Cheese. Badlands nirvana descended on me and after it was over, I drove out to Little Badlands, contemplated eternity and returned the bad cheesburger to the Mother Earth, only partially digested.
It was a Ying-Yang evening and I couldn't summon my Chi.
I woke up next morning in my room at the Hillcrest Motel on the Dump Grounds Road, packed my gear and bolted.
I haven't been back since.

No comments:

Post a Comment