7.29.2007

johnny hit and run paulene

This is for my favorite blogger and surrogate niece - Holly.
X. The band that tore up the Whisky a Go Go, a nightclub in West Hollywood, California, at 8901 Sunset Boulevard on the Sunset Strip.

The Whisky played an important role in many musical careers, especially for bands based in Southern California. The Byrds, Alice Cooper, Buffalo Springfield and Love were regulars, and The Doors were the house band for a while -- until the debut of the "Oedipal Section" of The End got them fired. Van Morrison's band Them had a two-week residency in June, 1966, with The Doors as the opening act. On the last night they all jammed together on Gloria . Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention got their record contract based on a performance at the Whisky. Jimi Hendrix came by to jam when Sam & Dave headlined. Otis Redding recorded his album In Person at the Whiskey a Go Go there in 1966. The Turtles performed there when their newest (and biggest-selling) single "Happy Together" was becoming a hit, only to lose their new bassist, Chip Douglas (who had arranged the song), to the Monkees; guitarist Michael Nesmith invited him to become their producer. (He returned to the Turtles a year later, to produce them.).Neil Diamond also played at the Whisky on occasion.

Many British performers made their first headlining performances in the area at the Whisky, including The Kinks, The Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Roxy Music and Oasis. The Whisky was a focus of the emerging New Wave and punk rock movements in the late 1970s, and frequently presented local acts as diverse as The Germs (which recorded its first album there), The Runaways, X, Mötley Crüe and Van Halen while playing host to early performances by the Ramones,The Dictators, The Misfits, Blondie, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, XTC and The Jam.

1 comment:

  1. I find it rather depressing that I wasn't able to see ANY of my favorite bands perform live before they were my favorite bands.

    Naturally, being the curious sort I felt I needed to do a bit more research on The Whiskey and now, after searching through various websites, including - but not limited to - the official Whiskey site, I have to wonder...

    ...can I get married there?

    Oh, and speaking of...

    After much deliberation I think it would be fitting if either you or my father got ordained online so you could officiate.

    But only if you promise to perform the ceremony in a foreign language. I'm partial to Italian, but I'd settle for anything but french.

    Think it over and get back to me.

    ReplyDelete