7.01.2007

elnora and oscar

My Aunt Elnora and Uncle Oscar lived but a stone's throw from the Post Office in Creighton. They had cattle and a chicken barn; selling eggs. Uncle Oscar could roll a cigarette with one hand.
Uncle Reinhold lived just east of the Lutheran Church. In a valley with a fruit tree orchard. He milked cows and planted wheat. He ran a small herd of range cows to give his boys, David and Norman, something to do after the milking was done.
The Denkes ran some territory around the fringes, same as the Geigles. They were like wild indians. Tough and hard working in rough conditions. It doesn't rain much. By June, the grass has cured for the season.
When I was 9 months old, my father died in a car crash. My mother was seriously injured. I was in the car as were my brothers and sister. We all survived. I was turned over to Aunt Elnora and Uncle Oscar. My brothers and sister were divided up elsewhere. The boys went to Uncle Reinhold. I don't know what happened to my sister.
After several months in the hospital, my mother was released and began to collect us. To bring us home; wherever that would be.
The older boys came first or maybe the sister. I was judged too young to be immediately returned.
Years later my Mom and I talked about it. I told her that Aunt Elnora was my favorite Aunt, but I didn't know why. She mentioned two things. That Aunt Elnora was my Dad's favorite sister and that I had spent almost two years in her home. Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, I knew why I felt like I did about Aunt Elnora.
Uncle Oscar has passed. Aunt Elnora lives in Rapid City. I don't see her very often.
Before my mother passed, she gave me a box of letters. Most were from my father, but a few were from Aunt Elnora carrying on a correspondence with my mother before they were married. Christmas cards, birthday cards, advice regarding marriage and my father. They are priceless.
I'm in the process of scanning them. I have had several offers to do it for me, but I just can't let these letters out of my hands. I don't have permission.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this story. The first time I heard it your mother told me during one of our conversations. It brought tears to my eyes, as I listened, as she decribed the event.

    I continue to place a rose and US flag near your fathers grave; first upon your request and now because I promised your mother that I would as long as I could.

    Treasure the letters, what a wonderful gift to have!

    ReplyDelete