8.06.2008

what's he building in there?

Willie, my cat, is building something in there. Having burrowed into the box spring on the king sized Hemingway Sleigh Bed and following much clamor and banging I began to notice receipts carefully stacked next to the headboard. Lowes, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond. Then it was thick carpenters pencils and cans of paint.
I began to wonder: what's he building in there?
Last night I saw flashes of light and a smell of sulfur that suggested welding. I looked for but did not find welding gear. Willie had a tell-tale fur burn on his right rear paw. And there was another on the carpet - not a cigarette burn, I quit last November.
Today, when I arrived home from work, an attractive young tabby slipped through the garage door before it shut. I opened the door to the laundry room and the tabby shot past me and straight up to the loft. I heard a crinkle and a pop and upon investigation found evidence of crackers and white sparkling wine. That's when I noticed Willie had apparently hung a tiny, neon "No Vacancy" sign. Around 7:00 PM the tabby began mewing at the front door and I let her out. I heard the upstairs shower fire up and Willie came down shortly after in what appeared to be a silk kimono. He smelled strongly of my missing bottle of Calvin Klein.
I went upstairs with a flashlight but the evidence was gone. The No Vacancy sign had been switched to Vacancy. A small group of immigrant landscapers were carefully tending to the carpet and the false potted plant out front. I sat on the edge of the bed and wondered aloud, "What's he building in there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment