3.10.2007

vietnamese pork sandwich

On Gilbert Road south of Ray there's a Great Clips where I go to get my hair cut. I go every month or so. Each time, I draw a new clipper. Today I drew a sweet little Vietnamese gal. I got a great haircut. Those of you who see me in the next few days will attest.
I also got directions to Lee's Sandwiches on the corner of Warner and Dobson in Chandler. Lee's makes great sandwiches including a favorite of mine, the Banh Mi Thit Bale (pronounced bah me tea by). It's a French roll with shredded pork, pickled carrots, hot peppers, cilantro and a sauce sort of like Horseradish. The twelve inch version set me back $2.97 with tax.
They also serve Pho (pronounced fuh), a noodle soup that will drive you insane with pleasure.
I got started with this food in Minneapolis where my brother's law partner, who served in Vietnam, turned us on to this and the ultimate - Vietnamese coffee (find a Vietnamese restaurant and try it).
Anyway, the clipper, who left Vietnam as a refugee and landed in Malaysia before making her way to us also offered some true cilantro. Seems she brought two seeds with her from Vietnam in a make-up case and they grew well. She works on Tuesday and I'm to come back and get some of her cilantro. We've made a plan.
The haircut cost 12 bucks, I gave her a twenty. I wonder if that was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment