4.30.2010

owl city

I work a lot of late nights. It's three freeway interchanges to get home then up the avenue next to the light rail. Past the 24 hour Burger King on 46th, the 24 hour McDonalds on 42nd, the light rail stops to my left. People dart from there across Hiawatha in front of me like nocturnal rodents. Dodging traffic. Risking it.
It was raining last night so I had the fog lights on and next thing I know I've come to a complete stop, staring at two human beings (presumably not rodentia), wearing garbage bags over their clothing. Staring back at me. Like poor kid Halloween ghosts in plastic sheets.
It seems like time stops, I hear a screech of tires, look left and watch an Escalade get smacked by the train. It bursts into flames. I look back at the road in front of me and the garbage-bag people have become owls. They fly away. Sometimes I can't sleep for days in Owl City.





No comments:

Post a Comment