8.23.2007

and mavis took my soul

She was a pretty girl. Raven black hair. Long nose. Tight clothes on tightrope legs. All of the itinerant buskers and Green River solicitors were after her. Me included.

I'd come down a hard road. Lost my cattle, sold my water and watched the wind take my dirt. I'd had some hard times on both sides of the law and the bad side got me incarcerated. It wasn't so bad, you know. The fellers was all on my side; just another hard-luck case. Like them. Lost at one game or another, never meant no harm.

Long story short, I was let go. Time served. I left in a black wool suit donated via the "Salvation Army". I was given $80 worth of "community vouchers". I had to walk to the bus station. No one picks up a hitch hiker in a black wool suit on very hot day anymore.

Not jumping ahead but I'm just three days away from Mavis ...

To Be Continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment