1.02.2010

coffee press

I left my coffee press in Phoenix when I moved and I desperately needed another while staying in the home of a coffee abstainer. Instant coffee was not doing the trick. I could not even approximate the rich, instant coffee a friend could make as if by magic. Mine came out sour, dirty and mean. Half and half only turned it tan. It was still rank. Sour, dirty and mean.
I knew I needed a simple French coffee press. No wires. No filters. No dripping. Just hot water and an organic French roast and a little half and half. I had $27.00 in cash to spend. Thus armed and motivated, I ventured forth to a Super Target. Nope. A Walmart. Nope. Dunn Bros, Caribou. Nope, nope.
Bewildered and losing hope, I texted a friend. She answered immediately suggesting Starbucks, any location. I had intended to stop at the Starbucks on Rushmore Road on my way home but her suggestion confirmed I was likely to find one there and it was true. They had three. Varieties. I picked the mid-priced press made in Poland. My sense of relief was palpable. The cashier/barista picked up on it, stating, "You really needed this didn't you?" Of course, I'd mentioned my search efforts but nonetheless, she could tell I was relieved. It was as if I'd been reborn.
I texted my thanks to my helpful and knowledgeable friend and hurried home. I didn't make coffee right away but plan to soon. I'll have it tonight. With ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment