12.13.2008

turn out the lights

On Tuesday, December 9th, just before noon Mountain Standard Time an old South Dakota friend and rancher's son liberated my sorry old kiester from the Life Care Center at South Mountain in Phoenix. I was there for damn near a month having arrived November 13th after three weeks at St. Joseph's. As you readers now know, I had a bum leg that became infected and quickly developed gangrene. It was a bacterial bastard called necrotizing fasciitis. You've heard it called the "flesh eating" bacteria but that's really just a general term for any infection that spreads very rapidly and does a shitload of damage. This one did a shitload of damage. I had three surgeries and was lucky to keep the leg.
I'm home now and getting around with a cane. The walker was too embarrassing. I leave it at home. I'm visited at home by a nurse three times a week but she just sits there while I change the bandages that still cover the wound site from my ankle to my knee. She brings extra stuff and charges it to insurance which is way cool because that shit is really expensive at the store. I've never even seen the the stuff I use to cover the grafted areas in a store. It's high end wound care stuff, man.
I hope to go back to work on Dec. 22 but I have three appointments between now and Jan. 14. The Doctor's may hesitate on my release.The only silver lining about all this is that I lost a lot of weight. The institutional diet left much to be desired! And, I would take all the weight back to have avoided this. Who wouldn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment