8.20.2006

gilbert arizona welcoming committee greets newcomer

I arrived in Gilbert this evening, Saturday, August 19, after a boring/memorable drive through parts of Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico and, finally, Arizona. 99.7 gallons of gas at approximately $3.00/gallon or $300.00. I could fly Sun Country from Minneapolis to Phoenix round trip for that much.

The rental truck was another $600.00 and meals and motels around $175.00. (I slept and dined on the very cheap.) Moving is more expensive than I thought it would be. Of course, the last time I moved was shortly after leaving college and at that time I hadn't accumulated more than 600 pounds of paperwork and and nearly a ton of furniture, electronics and clothes. Then, I needed about 40 square feet to contain my entire portfolio of property - both personal and otherwise. Now I need a freight car.

Somehow, I crammed it all in and headed to my brother's house to spend my last night in Minneapolis. He wasn't around so I conned my nephew into driving home from a friend's to let me in. I grabbed a six and sat out on the back deck. Later, the neph and I watched an action flick on the plasma. The Rock's version of Walking Tall.

Brother got home and we proceeded to smoke cigars and regale each other with tall and exaggerated tales until 3:00 AM. I got up at eight and left.

NEXT: nebraska: gateway to, ummm, colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment