7.15.2006

lebanon


I walked over to the Third Avenue Market today to buy a watermelon. I like them in the summer when it's hot. They have a deli there but it's not like a Subway since you can't get a sub. They sell falafel, shawirma, souvlaki, kebabs tomatoes and cucumbers and saffron rice. Their hummus is the best. As a plus, they're nice guys. And they're Lebanese. When I ask for stamps they argue, then sell them at a discount. I think they like me. I always pay cash.
I carried my watermelon to the counter. As a frequent customer, they always recognize and call me by name. A few days before as I bought cereal and milk, my Lebanese friend suggested I try feta cheese, olives, cucumbers and toasted pita with olive oil for breakfast. I had to agree it sounded very tasty. Better than Cheerios I'd put on the counter.
I brought my purchase to the counter today. The big watermelon. My friend was comfortable in telling me his horror and fear for his family in Lebanon and his hatred for both the Israeli incursion and the Hezbollah. Like me, I'm sure he wishes we could just stop shooting at each other.

We talked about the situation in Lebanon. Freely, as we are entitled to do in this country. The watermelon was big so he grinned as he double-bagged it and suggested it was worth more than I was going to pay. He put my cigarettes, ice cream and a couple of cans of pico in another bag and I left.

I really, really hope his family and friends are OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment