9.13.2009

cannot make this up

I'm sitting outside in the cool desert morning, copy of the Sunday NY Times, beautiful sunrise behind a palm tree silhouette, cigarette and dark roast in hand when I look up and see the neighbor across the street. Never seen him in daylight before. Only behind the porchlight when I'm outside grilling.
I notice he seems to have a basketball tucked under his shirt. Seems odd, but I pay little attention at the time. Back to the paper. Then I glance over again and realize he's not wearing a shirt! Apparently he swallowed a basketball and it's in his belly and it's yet to deflate. As I ponder this, a woman (I think), shows up in a long white bathrobe/cape or some other weirdo-miscellaneous sleeping apparatus (I presume) wearing a plastic shower cap (recent perm?). This presents a scene that will forever be burned in my conscious mind and remind me of the weirdness that is Phoenix, AZ. It's like getting a free ride on the Twister at the parking lot carnival. Or a convenience store pickle.
The best things in life are either cheap or free.

No comments:

Post a Comment