10.11.2007

More Than One Way

There's more than one way to kill a cat, break off a relationship or lose a job. I've accomplished all three and the first was the hardest. Cats don't die easy. Relationships can be ended with a simple argument and a job can be lost due to drinking, fighting or cussing in the workplace.
Let's talk about the cat. Long, long time ago me and Scott Morgan set a simple trap next to a hole in the wall of a badlands plateau. We didn't even bait it. To our surprise when we returned to check the trap, we'd caught a feral cat. We wanted to set it loose, but you couldn't even get near it without risk of massive and life threatening injury. We decided we would "pacify" it with a well placed blow to the head and once unconscious, release it. The dang cat would not cooperate. It would not pass out. So we ended up killing it to get our trap back. Makes me sick to think about it to this day. Next time, I'll bring a gun.
The relationship. I was dating a raven-haired Wall Drug gal from Georgia, but I'd recently been at the Wall Drug pool and met Jeanine. She was tall blond from Fond du Lac Wisconsin and thin with a rack like a ... well, a nice rack. I, like the typical male idiot, decided that the bird in the bush was better than the bird in hand. So, with this in mind, I provoked the raven-haired lass into an argument that I used (cleverly, I thought at the time) to suggest we were incompatible. About two weeks later the blond dumped me for what was in fact, a pencil necked geek from Iowa. Ouch. Karma is real.
Losing a job. I had a manager in Minneapolis who was also a personal friend. We played high intensity racquetball once or twice a week. He had a mean serve that I just couldn't get to so I told him if served it at me again, I was going to aim the return at his head. He tried it again, I caught the edge and as he looked back to check my return, the little blue ball hit him, took off his eye protection leaving a black eye. He didn't fire me. He got a better job, kept giving me a hand when I needed it and I served as his best man at his wedding to a beautiful lady.
Moral of the story. Killing cats is wrong, arguing with chicks is futile and fighting with your boss on the court of competition is the true path to success. Check it.

1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid it was a snapping turtle. I hacked at him for a long time with a spade (1/2 hour?), but that tough fucker would not die. Still feel sick about it.

    Best shot you ever made to my knowledge.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete