6.16.2006

the chalkboard: an interlude


by Ruby Irene Gabriel

THE CHALKBORD

Curiously I walk across the play ground
As I return to precious memories.
While I am standing in the un-mowed grass
I recall many softball games being played.

I glanced behind the school house
And find visions of snow with many trails.
Jiggs made wonderful trails for playing,
Fox and goose.

The trails remind me of other trails made
As wood was carried from one location to another,
For the reconstruction of Fort Rottonwood,
Mitch is our Chief.

Also we liked to jump rope,
One year we even preformed for YCL.
Mitch who could do fancy jumping, was unable to go
So Debbie became the alternate, she did well!

The trails have weakened,
The fort has deteriorated,
All of the jump ropes have been put away,
Only the memories exist.

Shall I open the schoolhouse door?
I expect a single room housing desks, maps,
Sand table and books.
What will I see?

The interior of the schoolhouse I hold dear
Is now empty, almost?.
On the north wall is the chalkboard.
I desperately search for memories of the chalkboard.

On this chalkboard we played games;
Tick-tack-toe, connect the dots and hangman.
I believe we practiced spelling words and math equations
But my memory is starting to fade.

But, I am thankful for the chalkboard.
Other than the empty building, it is the only remains
From an era of my life,
The chalkboard

Ruby Irene Gabriel
2006

No comments:

Post a Comment